My photo
Edinboro, Pennsylvania, United States
I'm a pretty fun guy. I have a side that is very serious but I also know when I am able to have fun. I am starting my second year at Edinboro and I am apart of Theta Chi fraternity. These guys are my absolute best friends and it is the best decision I have made. I will be starting a second job this year working as a Teacher's Aid and working to turn into a teacher's assistant. I also work at the beer distributor in town. Coming from Pittsburgh, Edinboro is my new home and I have built a great life. I like to meet, talk, and become friends with many people and help as much as I can. As my fraternities motto states, "Extend a helping hand to all who seek it" I believe I follow that well so do not feel scared to contact me for help!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

PowerPoint (Terrific)

When first getting assigned this project, I was not very thrilled. I was not a huge fan of PowerPoint and did not know how to use many of the features. However, after having the objective to create an interesting lesson through the use of PowerPoint, I have realized it is not as hard as it may seem. When going through the requirements, I was very overwhelmed and did not think I would be able to create a lesson through PowerPoint on the material that I have chosen to "teach." I put that in quotations because I really wasn't teaching...yet. When getting this assignment, I racked my brain on what I wanted to present. It hit me after a while; teaching how to draw letters. Learning how to read and write is a very important skill so I constructed a PowerPoint with the first four letters to jump start the "children" that would be viewing this presentation. Some of the things that I have included in the presentation were many pictures being matched up with the letters, two videos (one being a video that allows the children to hear how the letters are said) and pictures of a diagram that shows the children how to draw the letters. The video that is embedded into the PowerPoint is called Phonics song 2 and I think it is a great way for young children to hear the real pronunciation of a letter. As the presentation continues through, I included slides with the diagram of how to draw the letter and a space for a child to be able to practice writing it. Of course, this feature would only be useful if there is a smart board.

After working long and hard on the product, it turned out to allow me to actively involve all the children and still be educating them without many words. After everything was said and done, it would be a great feeling to be able to present to a peer and they can give me feed back, however, I missed class due to illness and I sorely regret not being there. Other than that, I have learned that PowerPoint is not as bad as what I thought it was. Another thing that helped me out with embedding a video into my PowerPoint was the use of a program called iskysoft. I was getting very frustrated with trying to embed the video from youtube, so I downloaded this. Not only did this help me fill in my requirements, but I also now can use it to download videos to my computer from youtube!

4 comments:

  1. I love the phonics song video you embedded, it will be very useful for teaching in the future. This is also such a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip about iskysoft. I'll be sure to remember than in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having trouble reading your font on here, butI love the background. I would proof-read this piece there are some places where you don't have spaces. I love the background!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the font to be hard to read. Great overview of how you felt about PowerPoint.

    ReplyDelete