My photo
Edinboro, Pennsylvania, United States
I'm a pretty fun guy. I have a side that is very serious but I also know when I am able to have fun. I am starting my second year at Edinboro and I am apart of Theta Chi fraternity. These guys are my absolute best friends and it is the best decision I have made. I will be starting a second job this year working as a Teacher's Aid and working to turn into a teacher's assistant. I also work at the beer distributor in town. Coming from Pittsburgh, Edinboro is my new home and I have built a great life. I like to meet, talk, and become friends with many people and help as much as I can. As my fraternities motto states, "Extend a helping hand to all who seek it" I believe I follow that well so do not feel scared to contact me for help!

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Open Educational Resource

Starting roughly ten years ago, OER has grown significantly. The purpose for this Open Educational Resource is to provide students and teachers/professors for resources to help with growth within education. Text books, games, supplies, and other materials used cost loads. The OER commons provide trainings for teachers, links to help guide lessons, and also has a support team that allows for custom tools. This is very beneficial to teachers who are willing to take a risk with trying something new to help students learn more, all the while saving money. Within the educational system, budgets are getting cut everywhere, which effects students' learning. When I navigated through the website a little bit, there were some parts of the site I found intriguing. I found a textbook resource for advanced algebra II that provided information on how to complete an operation such as radicals, exponents, and functions. Another thing that I found interesting was the use of simple objects, such as vinegar, baking soda, and a bottle to create a lesson. Adapted from a video from Zoom, students learn how to use these ingredients to create a rocket.


From the website infoKit, it provides information for higher education. Through this, professors and students have the ability to focus on learning the material. Within college, students struggle and have more than one thing on their minds. Personally, I always worry about not having the ability to purchase my books. With these resources, students have the ability to look at books and other items for free or at lower costs. Not only is cost a factor in the learning of students but so are the types of way students learn. Everyone learns differently. While some students can go to a class once and study the notes posted online or one needs to read the whole book and go to class just to make it by, this website from Slideshare provides videos and other methods of showing different topics of information. As mentioned, students learn differently, and these sites are a good way for each person to individualize their education. Through the Hewlett foundation's website, everyone has the ability to provide monetary donations, play an active role in spreading the word of O.E.R. and this site also provides deeper explanation of what Open Educational Resources are. It also provides information how it can effect the world's education.




Through O.E.R., students and teachers have the ability to focus more on the material rather than how to get the resources or tools to provide this information. Educational institutions have great costs which effect students and teachers. If this was limited, students would learn more and professors would have a more enjoyable time going through the material.




No comments:

Post a Comment